My Thai Times

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Cabbages and Condoms

Late afternoon on Saturday, I called Courtney, the librarian at my school, and asked her if she wanted to go to dinner. She said sure. I asked her if she wanted a simple dinner or if she was up for an adventure. "How big of an adventure?" was her skeptical reply (she knows me too well, and so soon). Previously we had talked before about trying out Cabbages and Condoms and since I knew where it was, getting there at least would not be the adventuresome part of the evening.


Some of you may have heard of this restaurant before, as I hear it has been featured on different travel television shows. It is a unique experience, and if any of you happen to visit, plan on dining here during your stay in Thailand!

I'm not exactly sure where the cabbages fit into this moniker, but there is no doubt about the condoms. The profits made by the restaurant go to support AIDS awareness and family planning. The location of Cabbages and Condoms is on a quiet soi (side street) nestled in a rather large garden, which is more like a small jungle. Large palm fronds strung with white Christmas lights envelop the eatery. Walking down the path, we were greeted by a (much) larger than life penis made out of condoms. It was hanging for the rafters and reminded me of a Zeppelin floating in the sky. Before we made it to the hostess stand, there were some villagers from up north who were selling handmade jewelry; profits went to help women in need. Jewelry and supporting a good cause? You didn't have to ask me twice.

After shopping, we were seated upstairs at an outdoor table. Courtney ordered a Blue Condom; it was adorned with a purple orchid, a cherry, and a pineapple wedge. Almost too pretty to drink. From the way she relished each sip, I'm guessing that it did not have that unpleasant rubber aftertaste. Dinner was tasty, Thai food with an American slant. And very affordable. Garlic minced chicken with roasted corn in waffle cups with a leaf of cilantro for appetizer ($2.50). Chicken and potato sweet curry with rice ($6). Grilled salmon with sweet chili sauce and spicy papaya salad ($8). When the bill came, instead of a mint, we each received, yes, a condom. A very nice touch.

And for dessert, a fifteen minute foot massage ($1.60). I think that this was the best part. We had to move to the Captain Condom Lounge downstairs, where we were met by some very pleasant ladies from Issan (Northern Thailand, I think) who sat us in cozy chairs and began to work. It seemed like much longer than fifteen minutes. After a quick wash in warm water, our feet and calves were slathered in a scented lotion and then rubbed, kneaded, stretched, slapped, and pulled. Very relaxing.

I've decided that getting a foot massage after dinner might be better that any confection I could eat. And fewer calories, too.

3 Comments:

  • Yeah, it seems like you love it there. Sounds like you may not ever come back to the states. You will just come to visit. Abby and Hannah says hello and they like your haircut. I will send you pics of the girls soon I promise. I don't know how to get them on a disk and go get them developed. Can I email you pics instead? I know how to do that but I am going to take the girls to get their Christmas pictures done soon so I will send you the link to the Sears so you can see them and pick the ones you want. Alrighty then!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 AM  

  • Michelle,

    I know I already said a comment but I want you to blog about whats going on over there. Let use know that your safe and how are the locals reacting to the chaos.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

  • I think that this would definitely go over in america as long as the people doing the foot rubbing were not also touching the food. Cute hair.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home