My Thai Times

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Delicacies

Last night I was strolling along Soi Cowboy to see what all the fuss is about (for those interested in one of the more popular reasons to visit Bangkok, check out the Soi Cowboy details at http://www.bangkokbob.net/cowboy.htm; be warned: you might have to go to confession afterwards). Minding my own business, I came across a food cart that sold some of the more interesting regional delicacies. (Fortunately, my sister Stefanie shared with me the "Amazing Race" episode that was filmed in Thailand, so I was somewhat prepared for what I saw.) Hundreds of crispy fried grasshoppers and waterbugs were all arranged on the food cart for your snacking pleasure. When I saw the hippies devouring a bowl of fried crickets to get ahead on the show, I had thought to myself I could probably eat one, just to see what it tastes like. Now, I'm having second thoughts. I think it was displaying the waterbugs (you know, those bugs that look like huge cockroaches) right next to the crickets that made me reconsider. Waterbugs for a snack--disgusting!

5 Comments:

  • Ummmmmmm...So you didn't try it? You should try it. Don't knock it until you try it I always say...

    Oh yeah, wow, girls, girls, girls, and they do favors right there in the bars? Is that even legal? Are the girls hired by the bar owners? Why would girls stay at the bar just for drinks? Are they not getting paid? Hmmmm....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

  • no worse than panda veg on grace street, in terms of food!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 PM  

  • Thanks for the Amazing Race reference! I told you that tv is a wonderful thing. By the end of your stay, I hope you try some homecooking.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  

  • Merci...thank you for letting us all visit Thailand with you. What a world you are opening up for us. I love the way you write ... and, of course, your sense of humor! Toujours, Madame/Miss Polly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 AM  

  • Interesting snack, I don't think I could venture into such delicacies either. (Big Grin)

    Stopping by to say, YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED! Stop by "my blog" to find out what to do about it.

    Sorry 'bout that.

    By Blogger Margaret, at 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home