My Thai Times

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Going to the doctor...

Well, it only took me two months to get one of the food-born illnesses commonly associated with third world countries. I don't know if it was the chicken curry I ate in Chinatown or the Kingfish Carpaccio I had at my favorite Italian restaurant--either way the onslaught of tummy trouble, fever, achiness, and headaches started Monday evening. I felt terrible all day at work on Tuesday (I was just waiting for one of the kids to realize why I kept leaving the classroom and then announce it to the class) and after having a fever again that night, I called in sick for Wednesday.

I went to the hospital up the street, Thai Nakarin Hospital. I was a bit nervous because I (still) do not speak much Thai and I was worried they might misconstrue my malady (say, perhaps, think I was pregnant and going into premature labor, have me in stirrups before I could blink an eye). Turns out I had nothing to fear. I asked at information about seeing a doctor; the very nice English-speaking receptionist led me over to registration, where I filled out a minimal amount of paperwork, before she guided me over to have my vitals taken. Did you know that blood pressure cuffs come in different sizes? Thai size did not work for me. Go figure. This was slightly humiliating because the little Thai nurse had to reach down into a drawer and pull out a special box that contained an extra-large-not-very-often-used blood pressure cuff (the tears didn't come until after I was seated and waiting for the doctor; it's funny how vulnerable you are when you are sick). Then I got to climb onto the dreaded scale. Note: the good thing about kilograms is that it doesn't sound as horrendous as pounds.

During the ten minutes I waited for the doctor, I dried my eyes and then noticed the nurses. I was surprised at their 1940's uniforms--white, fitted, knee-length shirtdresses, those funny little hats, and heels. Where were the pajama-looking scrubs and thick soled nurse's shoes? I must say, the feminist in me was appalled but the aesthetic in me was quite pleased. That whole doctor nurse thing began to make some sense...

I was only in with the doctor for five minutes. He spoke English and knew exactly what I had, asked me what I had eaten. I was then sent out to the cashier and pharmacy, where I was given six different medications (I had heard they are kind of pill-happy over here). There was an antibiotic, Immodium, Tylenol 500, an anti-nausea med, another one for stomach pain, and some powder to restore electrolytes. All of these were placed in a nifty little gift bag with handles. The gift bag seemed so quaint and out of place in a hospital. The grand total for all of this--doctor's visit included--was a whopping $16. Not that I had to pay anything; my insurance covered it.

But it gets better. I decided to go ahead to the dentist office since I was out and about on my sick day off. I loaded up on my meds and hailed a taxi. I went to a dental hospital downtown which was a pretty impressive, ultra modern building with lots of glass. Apparently you don't need appointments at these places. I walked in and again had a minimal wait. (The dental assistants and female dentists dressed more or less the same as the nurses, heels and dresses, but without the hats.) Since it was my first visit, I had x-rays done first and then had a cleaning. I was very surprised to learn that I did not have any cavities since I usually have two or three. I do not have dental insurance so I had to pay full price for everything which came to $75. Not bad. If I'd had a cavity, it would have only cost me $27. Those of you who have a small fortune sitting in your mouths can appreciate the moderate pricing.

So, all this cheap cheap cheap stuff gets me wondering; how much does the average Thai person make per month. After doing a little research and talking to some locals, it sounds like $270 per month is standard, sometimes more but more often less. Yep, I said per month. Wow. Geeze. Holy crap. I make seven times that as a teacher. This might explain why I actually had money left over last month, something that NEVER happened in the states.

1 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear about the tummy troubles. Sounds like it's easier being sick in Thialand than in the states. Must be all the massages..
    Still extremely jealous and trying to find a way for Matt to practice law over there. Was even considering going into teaching to make it happen. Do you think a family could live comfortably on two teachers salaries there?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home