My Thai Times

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Final Destination--Jomtien


I must say, the preamble to the misadventure was more interesting that the final destination. Since we were five hours from the desired location and it was already noon time on Saturday afternoon, we regrouped and decided to go to one of the nearby beaches. Well, the rest of the assembly regrouped…I was busy getting over my little temper tantrum. When I returned from the washroom and had purchased some liquid refreshment, I was told that we would be going to Jomtien. I was grateful that everyone else was amenable to the change of plans, much more than I was anyway. Sunny called the two families that were driving separately and told them of our mishap. I was glad she was the one making the calls.
We had to backtrack a bit and then head out to the shore but before too long we arrived in Jomtien. One of the families in the group, Oscar, Michelle and Trinity, recommended a place they had stayed a few times before so we had the driver take us there. Birds and Bees (yes, as in the birds and bees) is a fabulous resort that is run by the same people who operate Cabbages and Condoms (remember that blog from last year?). In fact, there is a Cabbages and Condoms restaurant at this resort, too. All the profits from the resort go to PDA (Population and Community Development Association of Thailand) which helps the rural poor in this country.
This is a pretty luxurious place (check out the above pic of the infinity pool that seems to just melt away into the seaside). I had to adjust my mindset a bit because I had planned on staying at a $10 a night bungalow on the river and here we were at a very nice oceanside resort that was considerably more expensive than $10 a night. But it was worth it. Jomtien is a neighboring beach to Pattaya, a beach famous for its thriving red light district. Actually, it’s not really a district. All of Pattaya seems to be fit for the red light moniker. Fortunately, the best part of Birds and Bees is that you really didn’t have to leave the resort once you arrived so you could avoid the seediness of Pattaya.
Sunny, Daylin, Courtney and I shared a two room suite that was phenomenal. One room had bunk beds and two overstuffed hot pink couches. The other room had a huge bed, a couch, and a bathroom that resembled a rainforest (sans the pythons and poisonous tree frogs). When you stepped outside, you were surrounded by tropical vegetation, a fountain, a bridge over a pond that had many huge fish swimming about in it (koi?). We also had a spacious patio with a place to lie down and read a book and a picnic table, too.
The rest of the grounds are equally lush and tropical. Two huge pools. Verdant walkways full of flowers and random live animals—chickens, squirrels, and bunnies. A family of adorable, fuzzy bunnies lived in the open clearing by the pool.
I spent most of my time at the pool. I didn’t even go down to the beach. I took my meals at Cabbages and Condoms which was open air and faced the sea. Very relaxing.
Even though the original plans for the weekend changed drastically, it was still enjoyable. It could have been worse. I could have been in my apartment grading papers all weekend. Yuck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home