My Thai Times

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Indelible passion


Passion—adjective
4 a (1) : EMOTION (2) plural : the emotions as distinguished from reason b : intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction
5 a : ardent affection : LOVE b : a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept c : sexual desire d : an object of desire or deep interest

What is it about a tattoo that intrigues me? I think the idea of the flesh being used as a canvas is fascinating. The notion of permanence is both foreboding and enticing. John Irving’s latest novel is about the tattoo culture and I think that has played a large part in piquing my interest. When I worked at Baker’s Crust in Richmond last year, many people had tattoos and I always wanted to strip them down and examine their ink, study the pictures, read the stories painted on their skin.
I can’t exactly tell you why I did it, but I did it. I picked out a Japanese character and took the plunge. I got inked. Sunny offered to stay with me, to hold my hand in a sense, but I said no. My main reason for declining was I didn’t want her to see me if I chickened out. If, after the first touch of the needle, I started screaming, I did not want her to witness it. So, everyone else went to dinner and I went upstairs to the very makeshift tattoo parlor.
Sam asked me to sit on the floor so he could sketch the character on my back. He suggested I have a drink or five because it was going to hurt pretty bad. He said he was joking but I got the feeling he wasn’t. So I ordered some wine. I didn’t think you were supposed to drink during tattoos because it thins your blood or something? After he sketched the outline, I laid on my belly and let him begin his work. It came down to the moment of truth. How much is it going to hurt? Will it bleed? Will I cry?
It only took an hour. The pain was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. It was more annoying than it was painful. Like a scratching or a slight burning. I did grab on to the pillow a few times and had to focus on the colors in the painting that was propped up against the wall next to me. No tears though and no screaming. And then before I knew it, I was inked.

1 Comments:

  • HI Michelle, this is Francis Laborte again the Filipino guy who is admittedly desperate for you, Wow you had fun eating the crickets didn't you?, well this might be the only way I can communicate with you since I think you don't want to communicate or speak to me anymore. Well I'd like to say again that I still really miss you, & its humiliating to say but I also still really love you. your getting lovelier since the last time I saw you.,I didnt had the chance to see your tatoos personally but they are cool. I wish I had the chance to have held your hands when you were in pain, maybe it could have eased it while needles were being pierced in your back. I know your such a brave woman. If only that you were my girlfriend I would have your name tatooed on any part of my body wherever you wish to like it but I guess its just a dream. Well I'm just turning so repetetive & who is this Mke or Sam?Are they your travel buddies?Its not my business to ask who they are, but Whoever they are,If they are romantically involved with you,I hope they'll take care of you the way I intend to care & love you Michelle, Bye again, take care & god bless you on your travels & how I wish God would also make us be together again but its always his will that I'll follow even if it meaans not being bein with such a very inportant girl in my life & that is you Michelle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home