My Thai Times

Thursday, February 08, 2007

It's all Greek to me

Hera and Zeus, the life of the party
Ares, god of war
Athena
A nymph
A Ruben's-version of Aphrodite posed with Posiedon, or is it Dionysos?
Echo, a nymph (her maid stitched up those awesome wings)

Oceanus (those are lobster claws on his head; ingenious)
Eros, a.k.a. Cupid
Hermes, the messenger god
Apollo, god of the sun, standing with a Greek citizen

Thanotos, god of death, making the peace sign; ironic?

Ahtena (check out her cool arrow-carrying case)
Goddessess of Ancient Greece
Hercules--check out his six pack
Hades, god of the underworld, looking more like the grim reaper



For the first time in my teaching career, I had the opportunity to teach Greek mythology. Boy, did I learn a lot. I didn’t know that Aphrodite was born of sea foam and the cut up body parts of some man thrown in the ocean. Or that Athena was born from the cracked open head of Zeus. Such violence and chaos; maybe that’s why my seventh graders loved it so much.

In order to impress upon them the legacy of the Greeks, we had a Greek Festival complete with the gods, goddesses, Olympic games, and Greek food (well, kind of). The students brought the food which means we had Kraft-like singles for cheese; apparently this is the only cheese my students are familiar with. While shopping, they had looked at the cheese I suggested (cheddar namely) and they all said the same thing—cheese is expensive! I ended up bringing some cheddar and brie (I couldn’t spring feta on them at such a tender age) and by day’s end, it was all gone. As I was slicing it up, they asked me what it was. I do love educating children about CHEESE! I imagine the rest of their lives they will have to think of their lives in two parts—before cheese and after cheese.

PS-I must thank Mr. Massey and Ms. Robinson for having a medieval banquet when I was in the 6th grade. Without that, I don’t know if I would have thought of doing something like this.

3 Comments:

  • mrs robinson was my favorite teacher!! I remember having deer meat. I am glad the students don't mind having their pictures taken anymore.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:47 AM  

  • Do you think we could get jobs as international ambassadors of cheese? Look into it, Companero del Queso.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 PM  

  • Michelle, this is frsncis laborte, your the most cutest and most beautiful greek goddess in the greek mythology more beautiful than helen of troy , I love greek mythology, I wish I was one of your students so I could be paris & your helen of troy, and I will defend you from the thousands of spartans just to be with you again, please michelle, I tried to call you on valentines day but you seem to have changed your number & avoiding my calls I call the gods of olympus so we can be together again michelle, i believe your my destiny, p;ease michelle, i want to be with you again, i really miss you. If i only had a thousand ships like the spartans, I'd go to thailand just to be with you again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home